by Mike Shea on 30 April 2003
I rebuilt my Everquest Links Page using CSS and non-presentational HTML. I tried my best to add symantics wherever I could, mainly embedded in <div> tags. I am not sure if this is really the right way to add symantics. I am not even sure what a <div> is supposed to be. I am beginning to think that unless you know what other application you have in mind (PDA, text reader, giant symantic 3D holosphere) you really can't write for it. I don't know how many times I've rewritten my sites but its a lot and I don't see a thousand other new ways to use it than rendering it in a browser. I am still not a believe in the semantic web unless newsfeeds count.
I stole an RSS stylesheet from the W3C homepage. I also removed all of my old 0.91 RSS files and now only support RSS 2.0 which is fully backward compatible in every tool I've used including my own. The stylesheet means that my articles.xml file can be rendered in a browser directly. Neat stuff.
Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org or follow @mshea on Twitter. If you enjoyed this article, please bookmark and use this link to Amazon.com for your next online purchase.